The Birmingham Art Music Alliance presents a summer concert by Alabama composer/performers
Music/performances by Raphael Crystal and Gaines Brake, Monroe Golden, Holland Hopson, Kenneth Kuhn, Kyle McGucken and Geni Skendo.
Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 7PM
Unitarian Universalist Church of Birmingham – 4300 Hampton Heights Drive – Birmingham, AL
FREE ADMISSION (donations welcome)
* The improvisational jazz-meets-serial work “Fits and Starts” by clarinetist/saxophonist Gaines Brake and pianist Raphael Crystal
* Monroe Golden’s microtonal “Incongruity” for piano and fixed media, encompassing equal temperament and just intonation
* New music by Holland Hopson for clawhammer banjo, voice, and his own highly responsive, interactive computer programs
* Kenneth Kuhn’s lyrical — and alternately haunting, celebratory, and introspective — “Fantasia on a Folk Theme” for piano
* An intimately minimal piano solo — “For Nina” — informed by post-structuralist linguistics and interpreted from graphic score by Kyle McGucken
* Works for bass flute and Shakuhachi by Geni Skendo.