2020 Birmingham New Music Festival
Call for Scores: 2020 Birmingham New Music Festival
Concert dates: Saturday, August 22, 2020 – others TBD
Submission deadline: Extended to May 5, 2020
Venues: Hoover Library, others TBD
Duration: No maximum limit, although preference may be given to proposals under 10 minutes
This is the only call for the 2020 festival. Those submitting for Category A are encouraged to also submit a second choice for Category B in case A is not selected. Only one work per member is likely to be programmed.
There is a possibility that some pieces could incorporate dance. Please indicate if interested in having your performance choreographed — in which case a recording is strongly recommended.
Submit a work (first priority only) for one of the following categories:
- Cello, with or without electronics – Craig Hultgren
- Clarinet/Eb Clarinet/Bass Clarinet/Saxophone(s), solo with or without electronics — or in acoustic duo/trio/quartet with Soprano, Flute, and/or Piano – Lori Ardovino, LeBaron Trio, Vinna Trio (Note that a quartet may require supplementary funds from the composer.)
- Piano, with or without electronics – Adam Bowles or Chris Steele
Submit a work for any instrumentation, and be responsible for securing performers and organizing rehearsals. For this option, compensation from BAMA is limited to $220 (up to two performers) per composer. Submissions for larger ensembles will be accepted providing the submitter will compensate additional performers.
How to Submit
- Category A: Composer, title, duration, score/parts/other performance materials, requirements, and optional recording.
- Category B: Composer, title, duration, requirements, and optional recording.
If not submitting your own composition, consider sponsoring an emerging or mid-career composer whose work you admire. Women and minority composers are particularly encouraged. The process is the same as submissions from performer members.